Monday, April 25, 2005

New Canadian War Museum Opens Soon!

They broke ground on November 5th, 2002 and it has been a long process but the new Canadian War Museum is going to open in less than 2 weeks. The Grand Opening weekend is on May 7th & 8th. It will be open to the public on May 8th. This is not only the 125th anniversary of the CWM but it also marks the 60th anniversary of V-E day.

I drive past it every day on my way to work and it has been non stop construction for a long time but the hard work has paid off. From what I can see of it, it is truly amazing. The building is so impressive and the architecture is hard to describe. So much thought was put into the inside and the outside of the museum. I will be honest that I hadn't visited the old War Museum since I was in grade school and I never had any desire to go again (I get too emotional). But I definitely think this museum is going to be worth a visit (or two).

If you do go, make sure to read as much as you can while you are there. One of the stories that I read (I can't remember where) that sticks out in my mind is that the width of all the corridors are no more than 9 meters. This was because soldiers had to travel in a straight line on land and they kept to a 9 meter band (4.5 meters to their left & 4.5 meters to their right)- it was considered no man's land outside of the 9 meters.

There are a lot of Museums in Ottawa and I think that the CWM is going to be a popular one to visit for a long time to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home